Sunday, December 7, 2008

Crunch time has officially started, but life is still ridiculously fun!

Well...just like the title states the craziness of finals and the end of the semester and Christmas shopping and cleaning and find a ride home and everything like that has finally started and in fact kicked into pretty high gear this week. It will probably approach levels of insanity this week and who know what will happen finals but that everything just explodes because of running around trying to finish up everything (and there is an infinite amount of things to be completed before leaving for home, the list just keeps growing and growing with no signs of stopping). After catching up during all last weekend from partying at home all during Thanksgiving, we went back to having a Sunday dinner where Sherrie and Amanda come over and they brought along Adam Herring too. We had waffles and then opened up my new Cranium game to just mess around and have fun. The game is simply amazing. Group party games are still my ultimate favorite by far and this has strengthened my addiction and bias towards them. Monday was time to take the waltz test in dance, which so far is my favorite dance because it is just so eloquent and graceful and smooth and beautiful. I got an A on the test which is a miracle because I hadn't practiced in a good solid week and half, but it was great fun. Monday night was FHE, one of the best parts of the week because we get to hang out with cool, fun people on a school night and we are commanded to do so by the Lord. If the Lord commands you to hang out, you do it. This week it was my week to teach everyone how to index and I can honestly say that it was a blast and everyone had fun doing service for about an hour's length of time at least. Indexing is amazing is what I have decided because even though it is impossible to read the handwriting or understand exactly what you are doing, the people up there appreciate it and are looking forward to their names finally being able to be found by family members in order for them to do baptism for them. Its service with a bang. Tuesday was a day of study or in other words I can't remember exactly what I was up to...but you can bet it had Ryan written all over it and was random enough for anyone you could think of. Wednesday was my final orchestra concert for the semester and to my great surprise we actually pulled it off. I thought it was going to crash and burn and end with the audience throwing rotten food at us like they did in the old days, but nope, we sounded great somehow. After sounding terrible in all the rehearsals and practices leading up to it. We played a very long concert with the following pieces and forgive my terrible spelling...there was Bizet's Carmen, Vaughn-Williams' tuba concerto, Leroy Anderson's Bugler's Holiday, Tchailkowsky's Roccoco Variations, and Aaron Copland's El Salon Mexico (just imagine there being accents over all the right letters in that title). The most amazing thing was the Roccoco because the bass soloist in it was one of the best in the world. He is the bass professor at ASU, and when he played...he made everyone feel like we were back in fourth grade just barely picking up an instrument for the very first time. That is how insane he was...people studying music at the college level just astounded by the pure, raw talent of the bassist. Who sounded like a cello or violin or bass depending upon what the music called for. Someone who can be that dedicated to the study of music is someone who I greatly admire. I just could never push myself that hard to do it, to practice hours upon hours upon hours a day, slowly taking apart each and every note and rhythm in order to be able to play it all and play it the very best anyone has ever heard. I think there only a very few select people that are able to do that and I had the pleasure of being able to play with one at this concert and it was one the best musical experiences of my life and probably will be for eternity. After that everyone who had come to watch my concert - Samuel, Aaron, Joe, Amanda, Sherrie, Kelly Ann, and Adam - came back to my apartment with me and we talked and hung out and ate the puppy chow that Kelly Ann had made. I taught Christine a few steps in the waltz later that night and got schooled by Kelly Ann in what the correct posture and frame is. But I don't know what to do there because holding my frame like that really kills my shoulders a lot. However, I also learned the polka earlier that day and I can totally do that dance, it is by far the most fun and energetic dance known to man. But maybe someday I will get use to it and I can be able to hold it the correct way. Thursday was a fun day where I started off with some hard core studying at Julie and Karsten's and then headed to the dance lab. The dance lab was not as good as the one before had been (probably something to do with them refusing to play anything but Christmas music), but it was still a blast. I got there right when the floor shows were starting and watched the amazingness of all the people in the upper classes dance away for us and decided that I am still quite very poor at dancing. Very much so. After the dance lab, I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol at the Varsity Theater which I have not seen in a very long time. It was a blast and much funnier than I remember. I love the music too, but then I always love the music so I don't know if that is saying very much. After that it was back to my apartment to hang out (it seems to be the place to go everytime...I don't know or understand why but everyone just congregates to our apartment and it is almost always packed every single night of the week with people). I guess we do have all the games and the projector and the Wii and the Playstation 2 and its relatively clean most of the time if I could get around to cleaing it that day (somedays I am just too busy and cannot get to it). I guess that is a good thing but it makes life very hard to study sometimes. Although according to my roommates I have the unique ability to tune everything and everyone out and just study for hours and hours and get done what I need to get done so I can be able to have fun later and also get enough sleep to sustain life (a concept the rest of my roommates struggle with). Friday night we were invited to a dinner and movie night by Kelly Ann. My two cents here: I provided dessert. We had the most amazing taco salad and then proceeded to watch Charade which is the cheesiest old movie I have ever seen, but also one of the funniest. After that was over we had the pie and ice cream that I had made (the pie being made by the fabulous Marie Calendar and the ice cream being homemade by me. It took forever to convince Whitney that I had made the ice cream though, she refused to believe that it was homemade for the longest time). Saturday was back to working and studying day...although I didn't get much done of either. Whitney came over and made us her famous bannana whole wheat pancakes (which are pretty much to die for by the way when topped with my berry ice cream, just saying). After that we went over to Kelly Ann's and finished watching Speed Racer, which is one the most trippy and random movies ever made, but it was still very, very good. I came home and worked on an hour of economics then and then headed out to Savers with Whitney in order to start getting everything prepared for the Christmas party we are planning for this upcoming Saturday. It should be a blast as long as we can convince anyone to show up. That is always the trick is getting people to come...for some reason they never do but then when they do show up they have a blast. Have fun trying to figure that one out. Saturday night was the freeze fest extravaganze thrown and paid for by BYU. There was ice skating, dancing, broom hockey, icing cookies, hot chocolate, friends, fun, and extreme exhaustion by the end of the night. Although that one is probably my fault because my roommate and I started jumping up and down during the dance and had a contest to see how could endure the longest and we eneded up having to call it a draw so we could go ice skating, or I should say they could go ice skating while I watched them enjoy themselves and have a good time. But I had a blast last night, it was awesome to just get to see everyone together and enjoying themselves without a care in the world. Well if last week was busy, its nothing compared with this week. Its going to be insanity but fun with temple lights trip, chamber orchestra concert, RHA party, work, study, classes, room date night, and Christmas party that I still have to finish planning and setting up for. So stayed tune next week for I survive and how I make it through, ciao!

Thought of the week: "Good, Better, Best" the conference talk. I think about it almost every day in my life and I am really applying it and how is the best possible way to use my time for every circumstance. It means that life comes at you hard and fast and busy, but you get a lot more stuff done.

Song of the week: "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickelback. Its one of their brand new songs that just really means a lot for me. It is about no matter who you are or what you do, that there is somebody out there in the world who will love you and accept you. You will never be alone, and that message just means a lot to me. Not to mention I just love Nickelback in general, but hey that is just an added bonus.

Picture of the week: My roommates and I goofing off at the dance...this picture is just us. All the rest of my pics from the week can be viewed on Facebook like always

No comments: